BrowserProtect falls under the category of potentially unwanted programs. It is programmed in a way as to make sure that it remains installed and unchanged by any third party programs. The BrowserProtect.exe program is a part of the Application Manager by PerformerSoft LLC, and is developed by Bit89 (Bit89.com), a company known for their malicious programs.
Technically, BrowserProtect is downloaded and installed along with a free program that you downloaded from the internet. Once installed on your computer, BrowserProtect will start to display its sponsored ads while you will be browsing and will also be collecting your data while you are browsing. Furthermore, it will change your default homepage and search engine and even if you try to revert it back, you won’t be allowed to change it.
BrowserProtect.exe is bundled within the installer of many toolbars, adware and other pottentially unwated programs, with the sole purpose of making the removal process of this programs more difficult.
Some examples of infections that will install the BrowserProtect.exe program are: Delta toolbar, MixiDJ toolbar, Search-Results toolbar, Claro-Search toolbar, DealPly, WebCake, SelectionLinks and many more programs.
You should always pay attention when installing software because often, a software installer includes optional installs, such as this BrowserProtect hijacker. Be very careful what you agree to install.
Always opt for the custom installation and deselect anything that is not familiar, especially optional software that you never wanted to download and install in the first place. It goes without saying that you should not install software that you don’t trust.
Basically, BrowserProtect is not a virus, though it does displays a lot of traits of a virus. It falls under the category of potentially unwanted programs or PUP. Therefore, it is always a good option to remove it out of your computer. Following steps can be taken to remove browserprotect from your computer.
How to remove BrowserProtect Toolbar from your computer
- To uninstall the BrowserProtect program from your computer, click the Start button, then select Control Panel, and click on Uninstall a program.
- When the Add/Remove Programs or the Uninstall a Program screen is displayed, scroll through the list of currently installed programs and uninstall BrowserProtect and any other recently installed or unknown programs from your computer.
- Depending on what program has installed the BrowserProtect.exe infection, the above program may have a different name or not be installed on your computer. If you cannot find any unwanted or unknown programs on your machine, then you can proceed with the next step.
How to remove smiley bar toolbar registry files using PC Performer
- Click Here to download PC performer.
- Close all opened browsers, then launch PC performer.
- Once PC performer is running, click on scan registry.
- Once done, click on delete or clear registry.
- Your registry will be cleaned. Now reboot your computer.
- Once rebooted, your computer will be totally free of smiley bar toolbar and its useless files.